7 Steps to Building Your New Home: Part 3
Welcome to the final part of ‘7 Steps to Building Your New Home’!
If you missed the first two instalments you can find part 1 here and part 2 here.
In past posts we’ve covered assembling your team, budgeting, planning and more. Now we move on to the final integral steps to building (and enjoying) your new home . . .
- ACCEPT THAT PLANS DON’T ALWAYS GO AS PLANNED
Robert Burns once said something to the effect that ‘the best-laid plans of mice and men often go awry’. I’m not sure what mice have to do with anything, but the statement holds true. Some things are a simple case of inevitability. You’ve made your plans, secured the correct permits, got your budget in order, and organized your team. Now all that’s left is to build your home which will be a smooth process with absolutely no problems whatsoever . . . in an ideal world.
Things, as they say, will happen. When these things do happen it’s important that you stay calm, consult your team, and deal with the issue at hand. Remember everyone is working towards the same goal; to build you the house that YOU want. Take people’s advice, and make informed decisions when dealing with any issues. It’ll also help to keep an open mind and a good sense of humour.
Here are a few ideas for staying sane during the construction phase:
- Don’t change your mind. Yes, those wall sconces you just found look lovely, but let’s stick to the plan. It’ll save you a lot of headaches.
- Check in on construction. Just don’t live there the whole time your new house is being built.
- Arrange with your team on site, whether it’s the builder or someone else, to give you regular updates via phone or email so you’re kept in the loop.
- You’ll hear people complaining on the construction site. Don’t take it personally. They’re not complaining about you or your new house. They’re complaining because it’s human nature. You likely find yourself complaining about things at your job from time to time. Don’t worry, it’s normal. Ignore it. If there’s truly an issue, you’ll hear about it directly.
- ENJOY YOUR NEW HOME
You did it! Your new home is built to your specifications and it’s time to move in. Take time to enjoy your new living space, get to know it, discover your favourite areas, and learn how this new location fits into your lifestyle.
You’ll quickly learn that your new home is so much more than just the rooms, the view, the placement of the furniture, etc. Your home is an extension of you. Enjoy it!
If you’re looking for the ideal location to build your new home, a place that encompasses the very best the Okanagan has to offer, we suggest you take some time to visit McKinley Beach. Our new show home will be opening in June but you can visit the site now and view the amazing selection of lots, all with epic views of the area and lake. View the site plan here: http://www.mckinleybeach.ca/siteplan/
Call the Downtown Discovery Centre to book a site tour and learn more about the McKinley Beach Community – 250-980-5555